Kimono is a popular Asian item of clothing that made its way into Nigerian fashion a long time ago. Today Nigerian fashionistas wear kimonos as jackets, kaftans, and dresses. Looking for a kimono pattern for your next DIY project? Find out how to make a kimono right now!
Don’t want to wait for your kimono to be completed? Shop beautiful kimono styles on Jiji!
1. How to make a kimono jacket
A kimono jacket sewing pattern is one of the most popular DIY projects for women all over the world. A kimono jacket, thrown over a dress, jeans, shorts, or a skirt with a top, instantly makes the outfit more refined and memorable. Here is what you’ll need for the kimono style jacket sewing pattern:
- 1 1/4 yards of fabric of choice (we recommend using cotton)
- 2 yards of pom-poms for decoration (optional)
- Sewing machine
A great thing about this kimono jacket pattern is that it can be done directly on the fabric, as it’s super easy even for beginners. Find out how to make a kimono step by step below!
- Cut a 48 inches x 46 inches rectangle out of the fabric – 48 is the length of the kimono and 48 is the width.
- Fold the fabric in half with the fold on the top and two loose ends on the bottom.
- Cut the front half of the fabric vertically in the middle.
- Cut an ellipse shape on top of the fold for the neckline.
- Measure 10 inches down from the fold and mark with a pin – these will be the armholes. Stitch the fabric on both sides from the bottom of the kimono to the pin.
- Measure 0.5 inches from the armholes, neckline, and front opening. Press with an iron and then hem using your sewing machine.
- If you’re using pom-poms, attach them to the hem of the kimono jacket. This is what your finished kimono should look like.
That’s it! Now you know how to make a kimono robe that will be a fabulous addition to your wardrobe!
2. How to make a kimono wrap dress
If your love for the kimono style in clothing cannot be satisfied with a single kimono jacket and you want to know how to sew a kimono dress for everyday wear or special occasions, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
The next kimono sewing pattern and tutorial works best for jersey fabric, as it holds its shape pretty well and is easy to style with. However, you can try making this pattern with other soft and stretchy fabric of your choice.
To learn how to cut kimono dress according to this tutorial, you will need to correctly take your own measurements to make the dress fits you perfectly. Finally, you’ll need a minimum of sewing equipment: sewing machine, pins, and measuring tape.
Again, this pattern can be done directly on your kimono fabric. Check out this video tutorial to get a complete idea on sewing your own kimono dress!
Shop fabulous kimono styles from top Nigerian sellers on Jiji!
Upgrade your wardrobe for less with the Jiji app