Dry scalp is a condition that is often confused with dandruff: both give you an uncomfortable itching sensation and can cause visible white flakes on your hair and clothes. However, dry scalp has different causes and treatment. Find out what causes and how to treat dry scalp!
Find the best shampoo for your hair in Nigeria on Jiji
1. What causes dry scalp?
To find the right dry scalp treatment, you need to know what exactly makes your scalp dry. Here are the most common causes of dry scalp:
- Frequent exposure of the scalp to dry air, whether it’s hot or cold;
- Excessive shampoo washing (more than once a week);
- Older age, when skin loses moisture naturally;
- Contact dermatitis from an allergic reaction to hair care and styling products like conditioners, mousses, gels, and hairspray.
Look for your ideal dry scalp shampoo on Jiji!
2. Dry scalp vs. dandruff
Dry scalp and dandruff often have similar symptoms, but the causes of the two conditions are very different, and so is the treatment. Dandruff is mainly cause by seborrhoeic dermatitis or fungal infections of the scalp. Here are the main differences between the two conditions:
- Dry scalp produces small white flakes, while dandruff flakes are larger in size and can sometimes be yellow;
- Dry scalp can hardly be identified visually, but the red, oily, and irritated scalp of dandruff patients is one of the main signs of the condition;
- Dandruff affects mainly the scalp, while people who suffer from dry scalp often have dry skin on other parts of their bodies.
- Dry scalp will react positively to a moisturizing conditioner or spray, while dandruff won’t be affected by the treatment.
Find dandruff shampoo that really works on Jiji!
3. How to treat dry scalp
Solve the problem of a dry scalp once and for all with these dry scalp products and home remedies.
- Cleansing your hair is the essential first step in the battle against dry scalp. The best shampoo for dry scalp is the one that doesn’t further dry out your scalp. Shampoos from Andrea, Hair Wonder, Dove, and Cantu all have a moisturizing shampoo for dry scalp in their product lineup.
- The next step is moisturizing and nourishing your scalp. You can start by using your favourite conditioner, but you can achieve an even better result with additional sources of moisture like Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse.
- One of the most popular dry scalp home remedies is tea tree oil that does wonders for an itchy and irritated scalp. Don’t apply tea tree oil directly to the scalp – dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba and leave in your hair overnight. Buy high quality tea tree oil on Jiji!
- Aloe vera is known for its soothing abilities and it can be effectively used on dry scalp. Scoop out the gel from an aloe vera plant, mix it with water to achieve a juice consistency, apply to your scalp and hair roots, and leave for 20 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Take three tablespoons of baking soda and combine with rose water to get a smooth paste. Apply to your scalp, massage for a couple of minutes, and rinse. This will gently exfoliate your scalp while also stimulating normal oil production in the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar normalizes the oil levels in the skin and gets rid of the bacteria causing scalp problems. Simply apply apple cider vinegar to the wet scalp, lightly massaging it, and leave for 10 minutes. Then rinse off.
- Oils can be very effective against the dry scalp problem, but few solutions work better than vitamin E. Squeeze out the oil from 5-10 vitamin E capsules and apply the oil to your scalp in massaging motions for up to 1 hour before rinsing with a shampoo.
Look and feel gorgeous every day with the Jiji app