To stay healthy, every person should consume the proper quantity of proteins, fats, and carbs daily. To diversify your daily diet,check out several African coconut rice recipes. It is a perfect meal for breakfast or lunch, especially when cooked according to the trusted recipe.
There are many ways to cook Nigerian coconut rice. We chose the favorites, with various ingredients and level of complexity. How to cook coconut rice will not be a difficult question anymore. Order some rice for sale on Jiji and check coconut rice recipe while it is on the way.
Ingredients for coconut rice
Before looking for a way how to make coconut rice in Nigeria, decide whether you want to eat something sweet or full-course meal. Based on this, you will shop for the products. Two key ingredients are rice (basmati is the best) and coconut milk (made at home or bought). The rest may vary:
- chili peppers
- raisins and nuts
- spinach etc.
How to prepare coconut rice
If you do not know, how to cook rice, do not worry: it is really easy. Even if you are a beginner and preparing food is still a challenge, you still can deal with this one. Just pick up the ingredients from the list and follow simple instructions.
- basmati rice – 350 gr
- coconut milk – 200 ml
- ginger – 5 cm
- a pinch of salt
- dried tomatoes – a handful
- water – 200 ml
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Wash rice well in cold water.
- Put the rice in a pot.
- Cut the ginger into pieces and put atop.
- Pour in water and coconut milk.
- Boil and cook for approximately 10 minutes with a cover on.
- Leave the rice for 15 more minutes in a covered pot.
- Take out the pieces of ginger.
- Decorate with dried tomatoes and serve while hot.
- Do not be too thrifty on rice Use basmati rice instead of simple pearl milled rice.
- Both water and coconut milk should be cold when you start cooking.
- You can mix water and coconut milk and then pour in a pot.
- If you pour in the liquids separately, go with coconut milk first.
- Cut the ginger into thin long stripes.
How to make Nigerian coconut rice
Traditional Nigerian coconut rice recipe, however, features more diverse ingredients. Meat and tomatoes are the main components, as well as seasoning. Check out this recipe to find out about one more variation of the meal.
- coconut – 1 item
- rice – 3 cups
- tomatoes – 500 ml, ground or sliced
- meat – 2 kg, preferably chicken or beef
- onions – 2 items
- Maggi – 2 cubes
- vegetable oil – 150 ml
- salt and pepper, seasoning – to taste
- Prepare the coconut: break, de-shell, grate, and squeeze out milk.
- Filter the received milk.
- Boil the rice.
- Prepare meat by boiling it with onions, maggi, and other seasonings. Cook until soft and ready for consumption. You can slightly fry the chicken. Leave the meat extract for later.
- Heat the oil in a pot for around 90 seconds. Add tomatoes. Stir and fry for 10 minutes.
- Pour meat extract in, then add coconut milk, the remaining cube of maggi, and some more salt. Boil the mixture.
- Add the rice. Cook for 20 minutes until it is soft.
- Serve with meat.
How to cook coconut rice without tomatoes
If users looking for how to make coconut rice expect to find a simple recipe, which does not require much time and excellent skills, we’ve got one specially for you.
- wite rice – 2 cups
- coconut milk – 400 ml
- water – 300 ml
- salt – 0.5 tsp
- sugar – 1 tsp
- Mix water and coconut milk in a big pot.
- Add salt and sugar and mix.
- Boil in a medium heat.
- Pour in the rice.
- Boil and cook for 10 minutes without a cover.
- Put a cover on and cook for 5 more minutes in a low heat.
Leave fot 5 minutes and serve. You can season the rice with groud chili pepper and lime juice.
How to make sweet coconut rice
Finally, we’ve got to the dessert. Yes, rice can be one in case you cook it right. One of the most favorite recipes is coconut rice with mango. Cooking requires a bit more time half an hour and an extra hour for readiness.
- rice – 1.5 cups
- water – 2 cups
- coconut milk – 1.5 cups
- sugar – ¾ cups
- salt – 0.5 tsp
- more coconut milk – 0.5 cups
- sugar – 1 tsp
- salt – ¼ tsp
- starch – 1 tbsp
- mango – 3 items
- roasted sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pour water in a pot and add rice.
- Boil and cook for 15 minutes or until the water soaks.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 ½ cups of coconut milk, ¾ cups of sugar, and ½ tsp of salt in another pot. Boil it , slowly mixing all the time. Then put aside.
- Add cooked rice and cover the pot. Leave for 1 hour.
- Cook the sauce. For this, mix ½ cup of coconut milk, 1 tsp of sugar, ¼ tsp of salt, and starch in a pot and boil.
- Place rice on a big plate. Cut mango into pieces and decorate the dish. Pour the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.