Anyone who’s experienced Nigerian cuisine even once knows what semovita is – it’s one of the most popular foods to eat with soups and other common Nigerian dishes.
Semovita is made from wheat, but there is much more to know about the cooking process. Find out how to prepare semovita and how to make it taste and look better than ever!
Buy the freshest food products in Nigeria using the Jiji app
1. Ingredients for semovita recipe
So what is semovita made from? Unlike most other Nigerian dishes that require over 10 or even 20 ingredients, semovita is traditionally done with just two. Here are the semovita ingredients and tools you need to make your first ever batch of the product:
- Semovita flour – 300g
- Cool water – 500ml
- Large bowl
- Wooden spatula
Semovita flour is rather easy to find in Nigeria, as many brands, including Golden Penny, make their version of this ingredient. However, if you struggle with locating semovita flour, you can make your semovita with regular wheat flour!
2. How to make semovita
Wondering how to cook semovita the right way? Follow these steps:
- Pour 500ml of cool water into a pot and put it on the stove.
- While the water is heating up, mix the flour with water in a bowl. Add as much water as needed to form a smooth paste that is not too thick.
- Once the water on the stove starts boiling, pour your flour and water mixture, stirring continuously. Bring up to a boil again while stirring.
- Allow to boil for a minute, then stir again and turn the heat off.
- Knead and press your cooked semovita while it’s still hot to achieve the smoothest and most appetizing consistency. This is how to make semovita without lumps!
3. How to serve semovita
The best way to enjoy freshly made semovita is with a bowl of hot soup or stew. Semovita is often served as a substitution to amala and other Nigerian bite-sized foods that are eaten with main dishes.
Semovita is considered to be the healthier alternative to amala and yam-based dishes due to its lower content of carbohydrates, so if you’re watching your weight, consider substituting the snacks you eat with soups for a small serving of semovita.
Cook with top quality Nigerian ingredients you buy on the Jiji app